The 20-time Grand Slam champion said he was having some ‘unpleasant moments’ but was hoping to feel better soon and would keep people informed about his plans over future tournaments.
‘I wanted to announce that on my return home after playing the Abu Dhabi tournament, I have tested positive for COVID in the PCR test that has been performed on me when I arrived in Spain,’ Nadal wrote on Twitter.
Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal has revealed he has tested positive for Covid
The 35-year-old said he had tested negative at all times when he was in Kuwait and Abu Dhabi, and had last tested negative on Friday last week.
He was seen with former King of Spain Juan Carlos, 83, on Saturday ahead of his match against Andy Murray last week.
Sat at a table together, Nadal and Carlos, who is part of the Spanish royal family and was leader of Spain until his abdication in 2014, shared a conversation, as detailed by Spanish outlet El Mundo, two days before Nadal tested positive for Covid.
The Spaniard’s comeback from injury at the exhibition event – his first tournament appearance since the Citi Open in Washington in August – ended in two close defeats by Murray and Denis Shapovalov.
Nadal had made his return to the court at an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi last week
‘I am having some unpleasant moments but I hope that I will improve little by little. I am now homebound and have reported the result to those who have been in contact with me,’ he wrote.
‘As a result of the situation I have to have total flexibility with my calendar and I will analyse my options depending on my evolution.
‘I will keep you informed of any decisions about my future tournaments.’
Nadal spent four months on the sidelines with a foot injury.
He was knocked out at Roland Garros in the semi-finals and was forced to pull out of Wimbledon, the Tokyo Olympics and the US Open.
Having already refused to commit to the Australian Open, his place is now in greater doubt
He had said he could not guarantee he would make the trip for the Australian Open which begins on January 17.
‘The idea is to go there and try my best there in Australia. Being 100 per cent honest, I can’t guarantee it,’ the Spaniard said. ‘I need to speak with my team.
‘It’s more than six months since the last official match. Things are difficult and I accept that.
‘I was able to compete in both matches and even had my chances, so if we put that in perspective it’s a very positive thing.’